More 3eb History per Jason Slater (prior to debut lp)

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

EcHoPlex2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
03-04-2009 08:32 AM Jason Slater

To clear up a couple questions briefly,The 1st record was recorded at a studio that Eric Valentine and I shared. I was in and out of the band during that time.There was never any bad blood between Arion and I,in fact we were very good friends during that era.We scored a videogame together around that time called Interstate '76.Arion later compiled all the music from the game and made a CD called Bullmark from it.He and I were in touch up until about a year ago.
J.

03-06-2009 08:18 AM Jason Slater

I'll give you a short version of the history of the band up to the point that we named it. I'm terrible with dates so I'm just gonna run through it in the order it happened without dates. I had just dropped out of highschool my sophmore year and started a band called Plumbers Crack and was working at a local recording studio,while I was working there a band would come in and work on demos,but I never caught their name or worked with them.I had a good friend that was going to Stanford and rented a room from my mom in our apartment.We used to play in pick up basketball games.At one of these games he introduced me to his friend Nick Dement,I recognized Nick as being one of the guys that was in the band that came into the studio.Nick and I got to talking and he told me they needed a bass player and asked if I'd be into checking it out.I think I was 19 or 20 at the time. I showed up to play with him and the drummer was this guy Stephen.There was no singer,so Stephen also sang.Nick was a great guitar player, a cross between Andy Summers and The Edge with a bunch of reggae thrown in.I wa really into it because Nick was so fluid and came up with the coolest guitar parts I'd heard,Plumbers Crack was straight ahead metal and I dug playing with a guy that was so much better than me and pushed me to be a better player.Nick and Stephen had been playing together since highschool and had a lot of history between them,they had some sort of falling out and Nick quit. We might have played together for 2 months.That left just Stephen and I.I didnt really like the guy at first,but he grew on me and we got a rehearsal space in S.F. and continued on.I lived in Palo Alto and Stephan was couch surfing in S.F. and didnt have a car so I was doing a lot of driving. He also didnt have a job so I was constantly picking up the bill for everything,this became a theme in our relationship.We wrote songs and auditioned players but nobody would stick around,Stephen was just singing and not playing drums by this time.He had a massive ego his voice couldnt back it up so most people just figured it would go nowhere.It was around this time that Stephen didnt pay the bill for our rehearsal space though I had given him the $ for it. The owner of the rehearsal space took all my equipment and my bass,so I was kinda screwed and really pissed off.I went back to playing with the guys in Plumbers Crack,but our singer had quit in my absence and we had 2 days of studio time booked to record a demo.Not being one to rest on my laurels I buried the hatchet with Stephen and had him come in and sing,it was mostly just yelling so his pitch problems werent an issue.It became clear nothing was gonna happen with Plumbers Crack,so I kept working with Stephen.At this point I had money invested in this band with Stephen and a whole lot of time so I decided to stick it out.Stephen was a great salesman,he would find studios and producers and do deals with them to record us for free with the promise of bigtime payback when we got a record deal. He and I spent a lot of time writing songs and recording them while trying to put together a band,but there never really was a band,in fact there was never a band until just before the recording of the first record. Theres a lot of people credited as being in the band but none of them ever were,a prime example being Adrian Burley who was a guy Stephen had met who had claimed he played with Fishbone. We gave him a tape of our songs,told him to learn them,went to the studio to record and he couldnt play more than 4 bars without dropping a drumstick and pretty much just couldnt play.He was never in the band,we played with him for 15 minutes and it was determined that Stephen could do a better job of playing drums on those demo's.He and Stephen remained good friends and he became a part of 3EB history. George Earth came in and played on some demos around that time and I really wanted him in the band,he had previously been in a great band called World Entertainment War.He Played on a few recordings but decided he didnt think the band was going anywhere so he stopped showing up. Around that time we hooked up with a guy named Mike Varney who owned a record label called Shrapnel that just put out records by great guitar players and he started sending us guys,but it was always the same story,so Stephen and I just kept writing songs and recording demo's for a couple more years. During this time Stephen was living in a house on Haight street with a friend of ours Eric and this dirty little annoying weasely little guy that called himself Puck. Puck was quite a character and later went to be on MTV's The Real World. Funny side note,I ended up on the show producing a group called Midnight Voices which was another cast members rap project.Around this time Stephen brought a guy named Anthony into the picture,he was a rap/R&B guy who called himself Zen. He wouldnt work out for our project but he had some cool songs,a few of which Stephen brought into 3EB. Stephen decided that this might be a good avenue to get his career started and had is brother manage it.Stephen had adopted his roomates name,Puck, which really pissed off the original Puck who was a bike messenger and felt like Stephen was trying to steal his soul hahahaha,Stephen wrote a song called Bike Messenger and it really freaked him out. The group was originally called Puck and Natty but for legal reasons it had to be changed to Puck and Zen. I played bass in that band and we played a total of 1 show,though it was well attended as our friend Eric had done a lot of promotion and I knew a lot of pretty girls. During this time we decided we really needed to name our band so there wouldnt be any confusion as Stephen and I were in both of them.Stephen and I were sitting on Eric's stoop and at the time the biggest band in SF were 4 Non Blondes and Stephen said "we need something that sounds like 4 Non Blondes but cooler" and after a bunch of brainstorming we came up with 3EB. And thus the name was born.There are many other stories around the naming of the band,but that one right there is the truth. Once Puck and Zen folded Stephen brought the songs Semi-Charmed Life and a song called Sky Blue which turned into I want you. So there ya have it ladies and gents the actual truth of the beginning of the band.I dont know why he felt the need to make up a different story as I think the truth is far more interesting. I hope that fills in some of the gaps for ya and wasnt too long winded.
J.

03-11-2009 09:35 AM Jason Slater

I'm not really comfortable talking about much past that period,mainly because parts of it would be my opinion of what I observed as opposed to the facts that I experienced.there isn't a closet of skeletons, theres a large wherehouse with a roll up door and to open that begats a lot of negative experiences and Opinions that might come off as shit talking.the reason I left for the most part was two fold. First was an unsigned band agreement between he and I that had us as 50/50 partners in the band that got changed to me being a hired gun or an employee of Stephans if you want to look at it that way that came about the second there was label interest. After putting in that many years of work and that much of an investment there was no way I would sign an agreement like that. Up until there was label interest we were partners in the band. I hadn't figured on him using music that I cowrote on the first record.......... Let alone the second and third. The other reason was I simply wasn't into the direction he wanted to take the music after he discovered Oasis. Everything we did all of a sudden had to be put this "oasis filter" and I just didn't dig it. As for the Orion overlap, during the making of the first record things were still civil between us,he consulted with me about the new band members,we coproduced songs for a girl group called The Braids. There were several occassions that he asked me back after Arion was in the band.this wasn't something that anybody in the band was aware of and we very briefly discussed me playing rhythm guitar,but at the time I was a shit guitar player and felt that at best I'd look like a clown next to kevins ridiculous talent. My opinion is that he didn't feel confident about the band until there were finished recordings that people liked and that keeping me in the fold was a great safety net..... It went as far as me being at the bands showcases for labels in LA though i wasnt in the band. Things only got adversarial between us when it came to the credits on the record and the publishing issues. The final straw was the bullshit stories he made up to the new members of the band regarding my involvement in the band and the origins of the songs. All of a sudden these guys that I had been supportive of and helped get gigs and in some cases employed until they some 3EB $ turned their backs on me and became assholes because Stephan had been scape goating me from everything to why he couldn't pay them more to why he couldn't cut them in on pulblishing. Once he wrote me out of the history of the band I was just plain pissed and wanted nothing to do with him. We might have had 2 or 3 conversations over the last decade that lasted no longer than a few minutes. Sorry for the bad syntax, I sent this from my iPhone.
J.

EcHoPlex2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
To give credit....these posts were found on TVCY. Very interesting tales from Jason's side of things. He's always been the mystery guy in the puzzle for me and low and behold I find this! Frankly, I'm glad he posted the youtube video of himself & Jenkins and told his side of the story. Dare I ask, is their anything we fans haven't unearthed about his band yet? lol

Would love for Kevin and Arion to weigh-in their thoughts here as well at some point.

Edited by EcHoPlex2010, 08 January 2012 - 02:20 AM.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts
I first saw Jason when he played in Puck and Zen in 1992 with Jenkins and singer Zen (Herman Chunn). I was at that showcase in the audience with an old friend, who played piano on the demo of Slow Motion which ended up on blue. The lyrics were changed from "slow motion in the ghetto" to "slow motion see me let go". This was a showcase for Gary Gersh of Geffen records. Jason's bass sounded great. They did not get signed, but Adam Duritz was at the show and that was cool. Zen sounded amazing, he reminded me of Seal.

I would later join Jenkins and Arion as Third Eye Blind in the fall of 1993. We were not much more than a bar band, in fact Jenkins and I would often perform alone acoustically at the Bison Brewery on Telegraph ave in Berkeley and upstairs on thursday nights at the paradise lounge. We had no fans yet. I used to staple fliers to telephone poles near the UC Berkeley campus announcing our shows at Larry Blakes and the Bison. The first time people other than our friends came to show was when drummer Steve Bowman who had just gotten out of the Counting Crows started to play with us. That was our first bit of press and it came in December of 1994. It seemed like a huge victory back then. We were finally in the paper!

Neither Arion nor I had heard Slater claim that he came up with the name in 1992, nor did he ever talk about getting screwed by Jenkins. Jason shared a studio with Eric Valentine and I recall hearing his various projects when I worked on a 1995 Third Eye Blind demo for RCA.
Jenkins wanted slow motion on the debut album . Eric Valentine refused to record it. I never considered it a Third Eye Blind Song as I considered it a Puck and Zen song. Eric Godtland claimed to have written the lyrics in its entirety.

Jason Is a super talented dude and Eric Valentine thinks highly of him as well.

GodofWine13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Amazing how I saw this video years ago and now I finally got the answer! I was scrambled on who Jason Slater was for years. Thanks!

ERICHON99

The Law

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
thank god I'm getting laser eye surgery soon after reading that. lol

Daniel

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Watching the sky
Bring back George.
webmaster | www.kevincadogan.com | ?EB | Bring back George.
Please be kind to all members - click Posted Image on posts that are kind and helpful!

EcHoPlex2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Amen! lol

EcHoPlex2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Bring back George.

lol

Nickel II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Is that SJ on drums? He isn't half bad, even for a douche. And was that in fact George's name we hear mentioned at the end?

EcHoPlex2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for corroborating this story Kevin.

Now that you and Jason have both confirmed Jenkins' endless swindling of songwriting credits, I thought that David Gleeson was somehow involved in the writing or arrangment of Slow Motion? Didn't Gleeson end up suing Jenkins later over it for lack of credit or nonpayment?

Ren Klyce is another I've always wondered about? What was his involvment with 3eb? DId he produce early demos for the band or was he a writing partner with Jenkins before you entered the equation?

All this really makes me wonder how much Brad Hargreaves has contributed over the years and gotten didley zip? And Arion too?

Nickel II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

All this really makes me wonder how much Brad Hargreaves has contributed over the years and gotten didley zip? And Arion too?

I don't think Brad does squat except play drums and be SJ's bitch.

DatSkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
You'd have to think Brad didn't really contribute much, or else SJ would have stolen it from him. I mean do you really think they're really "close friends"? Maybe Brad thinks so.....but i wouldn't doubt it, if Jenkins could, would screw Brad too.
I had reach but she had flexibility

Christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Music is my life.

lol ... I'm still seeing lines. o.O
~ be a dream in color even on a winter's night ~

Daniel

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Watching the sky
Careful or I'll change it back to white
webmaster | www.kevincadogan.com | ?EB | Bring back George.
Please be kind to all members - click Posted Image on posts that are kind and helpful!

ERICHON99

The Law

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Careful or I'll change it back to white

have mercy on us

Racecar8275

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Rockin, Good friends, good food, drinks. It just dosn't get any better than Rockin with your friends.
Wonder if Kevin, and Arion would consider working with Jason, he's an awsome producer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users