Q&A 3EB questions for Kevin

• You cannot reply to this topic
90 replies to this topic

darkness47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
- Can you talk about the song writing processes that went on for st and blue. What kinds of things come first or does it depend- harmony, melody, lyrics. Whos responsible for different parts of the songs- the progressions, the fills, vocal melodies, guitar intros, etc?

- What do you think makes those albums very distinctive from other bands and albums, and your recent albums?

justin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Kevin,

Which 3eb artist were you the closest to during the 90's: Urbano, Brad, SJ, or Arion?
Also, did you ever jam with Tony, just fiddling with new stuff or talking technique or teaching him the songs, or was his backstage work all learned on his own time/without you?

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Kevin,

Which 3eb artist were you the closest to during the 90's: Urbano, Brad, SJ, or Arion?
Also, did you ever jam with Tony, just fiddling with new stuff or talking technique or teaching him the songs, or was his backstage work all learned on his own time/without you?

I was closest with Jenkins pre- record deal. Arion and I became tour pals in England and we shared many laughs on the road together.

No, I never jammed with Tony. I showed him how to play Graduate once in 98' for a show but when he came back as a utility musician it was absurdly obvious that the lineup that made S/T and Blue was over. We both knew what was going on and kept our distance from each other. He did however ask for help with certain tunings for songs and chord voicings to which my guitar tech was tasked with helping him.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Alright, I've been trying to think of a question for Kevin for a while, now, and I've finally got one.

There's a recording I have from a live show which is basically an interlude. There's some pretty awesome guitar work going down in the background, and SJ is talking to the fans and band. His usual "We're just going to hang out now!" jazz. At one point, Stephan is heard saying "We're not playing that song, Kevin. No way. No no no no no. No. See that's the thing about Kevin. Kevin don't stop. No no no. Kevin don't stop."

So my question is if you remember this event or any like this where Stephan shot you down on stage. And, if you can possibly remember, what song did you request to play?

Weird, I thought I had answered this but now I can't find it.
That was just stage play. It was not him shooting me down. I was supposed to provide an exit for his monologue. It probably sounds weird when you listen to it but it came across as fun and games live. The song was the riff from "Today was a good day"

bluewintermoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:vintage awesomeness.
Kevin, completely hypothetical situation... my favorites, haha. If a stipulation was added to your settlement that said 3eb had to give you full ownership of one song from the S/T and one song from Blue, one song from each album that you were the most proud of, which ones would they be, and why?

Baltis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Heya, Kevin

Quick question... Fun little side stepping and completely off topic. If you and 3eb were on tour/opening up for, say ---> u2 again. And say Edge just quit U2 for some reason -- Probably because Bono's political preachings - They needed a replacement; would you step in and offer? I remember Larry Mullen Jr offered to fill in for R.E.M a few times so it can't be that uncommon. Oh, and another side note.. Why is Liam Gallagher such a Dick Skin? :) You don't have to answer that last one. :happy:

G'thoughts, man.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Kevin, completely hypothetical situation... my favorites, haha. If a stipulation was added to your settlement that said 3eb had to give you full ownership of one song from the S/T and one song from Blue, one song from each album that you were the most proud of, which ones would they be, and why?

That is the most bizarre way of asking what my favorite songs are......Do I have to pick the songs I am most proud of, or the one's that make the most financial sense?

should_be_working

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

So. Question. What songs off of s/t and Blue do you like the least? Either as far as your playing/music or the song as a whole, or what? For me the only song off of s/t I don't care for TOO much is "Burning Man," which I rate as about average [which speaks very well for an album if my least favorite song is as good as average, you know?]. But off of Blue, it kinda seems like the whole second half of the album sort of took a step downhill, around about "An Ode to Maybe." [I don't really like the verses to that]. But... yeah. Any songs you don't particularly care for, or at least your LEAST liked?

Oh, and another. I have a demo for "Wake for Young Souls" that is supposedly from before '97. Did you have any part in the creation of that song back then, or was it mostly/all Stephan? I know it was on OotV, so it was probably more Stephan, but... just wondering.

Probably the best song on OotV, if not "Faster." XD. And of course it's from the '90s.

What???? you're crazy! haha. The second half of Blue is what made it an incredible album. Songs like Camo, Darkness, Slow motion (with lyrics) and of course the song that rocks my sock off, red summer sun. Darwin was also a great tune. When I think of what could have been had kevin continued making music with stephan... well it could have been monumental. Songs like the last half of blue were what i would consider the closest to "experimental" that 3eb got. I really wish they could have continued and pushed the envelope even more. They were getting to such a good place. But stephan ruined it IMO because all he wanted were albums full of Never Let You Gos. Kevin can obviously support or deny my opinion of course.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Heya, Kevin

Quick question... Fun little side stepping and completely off topic. If you and 3eb were on tour/opening up for, say ---> u2 again. And say Edge just quit U2 for some reason -- Probably because Bono's political preachings - They needed a replacement; would you step in and offer? I remember Larry Mullen Jr offered to fill in for R.E.M a few times so it can't be that uncommon. Oh, and another side note.. Why is Liam Gallagher such a Dick Skin? :) You don't have to answer that last one. :happy:

G'thoughts, man.

Um, Yeah man I would take that gig. But you know, the band would not be U2 without the Edge. Some bands are just like that.
Liam? Interesting guy. He once threatened to stab me. It was pretty funny.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

What???? you're crazy! haha. The second half of Blue is what made it an incredible album. Songs like Camo, Darkness, Slow motion (with lyrics) and of course the song that rocks my sock off, red summer sun. Darwin was also a great tune. When I think of what could have been had kevin continued making music with stephan... well it could have been monumental. Songs like the last half of blue were what i would consider the closest to "experimental" that 3eb got. I really wish they could have continued and pushed the envelope even more. They were getting to such a good place. But stephan ruined it IMO because all he wanted were albums full of Never Let You Gos. Kevin can obviously support or deny my opinion of course.

It is well documented that NLYG is not my fave song, neither was Slow Motion. Funny- It used to be Slow Motion in the ghetto instead of see me let go. Just seemed so out of place on that record. "Red Summer Sun"- That was where I wanted to be.

Baltis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Um, Yeah man I would take that gig. But you know, the band would not be U2 without the Edge. Some bands are just like that.
Liam? Interesting guy. He once threatened to stab me. It was pretty funny.

Sharp... "No pun intended" -- But U2's last efforts, albeit they did have a few good tracks, was a tad weak. I was expecting a bit more from it. Love U2. But, meh... It was so shocking to see U2's, "3rd strike & you're out eyeblind's" and the Killers new material all kinda tank. Even though U2 went on to have a successful tour, I still believe it was for the rein-visioned tracks from Achtung Baby. Anyways, thanks for being so driven to succeed, man. Without you I know I never would've wanted to jam a guitar near as bad as I do. You make it seem so easy and that's tops.

bluewintermoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

That is the most bizarre way of asking what my favorite songs are......Do I have to pick the songs I am most proud of, or the one's that make the most financial sense?

LOL sorry, I am pretty bizarre myself... I was kind of thinking along the rationale of, "if your house was burning down and you could only save one thing..." Basically, if you could save one song from each album from eventual 3eb destruction because it meant that much to you and you'd hate to see it burn... :)

Daniel

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Watching the sky
"if both of your babies were drowning, and you could only save one, which one would you save?"
webmaster | www.kevincadogan.com | ?EB | Bring back George.
Please be kind to all members - click Posted Image on posts that are kind and helpful!

bluewintermoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

"if both of your babies were drowning, and you could only save one, which one would you save?"

lol that's a much better analogy, yeah go with that one.

Daniel

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Watching the sky
actually i wasnt being serious ;-)
webmaster | www.kevincadogan.com | ?EB | Bring back George.
Please be kind to all members - click Posted Image on posts that are kind and helpful!

topwing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Weird, I thought I had answered this but now I can't find it.
That was just stage play. It was not him shooting me down. I was supposed to provide an exit for his monologue. It probably sounds weird when you listen to it but it came across as fun and games live. The song was the riff from "Today was a good day"

That makes sense. Thanks for answering!

spooch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Ode to Maybe was awesome, some really interesting guitar work. The only good song off of Blue that Jenkins wrote was anything, and it wouldn't be half as good if Kevin wasn't playing the lead in the background. 10 Days Late was better live before the album was released, it sounded way to overproduced on Blue. Other than that, only songs worth listening to on that album are Kevin's songs.

chemicalbehavior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi Kevin,

I have a couple of questions that have been on my mind for years now:

In late 1999/very early 2000 I read an interview in a guitar magazine that featured you and Stephan. Unfortunately, I don't have the magazine anymore, but I recall feeling that there was an obvious tension between the two of you throughout the interview. I wasn't surprised when shortly after the magazine was published you and 3eb parted ways.

That being said, I remember reading in the interview that you and Stephan worked almost entirely separate during the recording of Blue, something like you two were in different studios and/or one worked days and the other worked nights, that kind of thing. Was working separately on the album a conscious decision that was preferred?

I have found very little information published regarding the settlement between you and 3eb from 2002. I don't wish to ask any inappropriate questions, so am I right in assuming that the settlement details are to remain private between both parties?

lookalivekid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:I dig music, books, touring, Scotch, contrarianism, Oxford commas, and schadenfreude.

Ode to Maybe was awesome, some really interesting guitar work. The only good song off of Blue that Jenkins wrote was anything, and it wouldn't be half as good if Kevin wasn't playing the lead in the background. 10 Days Late was better live before the album was released, it sounded way to overproduced on Blue. Other than that, only songs worth listening to on that album are Kevin's songs.

Anything was a good song. I feel part of the charm is that it clocked in at 1:59 and no longer. I saw 3EB shortly after Tony was taken on where they extended the song and it definitely sucked out the magic in that song.

I'd throw my hat in the ring for Darkness as well. Great sounds on that track. The tone on that lone guitar at the end is fantastic.
Statements, opinions, and so-called "facts" expressed above are solely those of this poster's and do not necessarily reflect the views of rational human beings; you are welcome to wipe your ass with any portion of the post above at your leisure. Libelous and/or obscene comments are encouraged. Persons attempting to find a point in the preceding post will be shot.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Hi Kevin,

I have a couple of questions that have been on my mind for years now:

In late 1999/very early 2000 I read an interview in a guitar magazine that featured you and Stephan. Unfortunately, I don't have the magazine anymore, but I recall feeling that there was an obvious tension between the two of you throughout the interview. I wasn't surprised when shortly after the magazine was published you and 3eb parted ways.

That being said, I remember reading in the interview that you and Stephan worked almost entirely separate during the recording of Blue, something like you two were in different studios and/or one worked days and the other worked nights, that kind of thing. Was working separately on the album a conscious decision that was preferred?

I have found very little information published regarding the settlement between you and 3eb from 2002. I don't wish to ask any inappropriate questions, so am I right in assuming that the settlement details are to remain private between both parties?

I tracked most guitars separately, as was the case on the S/T. We worked together mainly in pre-prodction... getting the material together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users