Q&A 3EB questions for Kevin

• You cannot reply to this topic
90 replies to this topic

moonmin82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, drawing, sculpting, cooking, music, movies, books.
The worst I ever had was when I 'woke' during an earthquake (not at all common in the UK). Sleep paralysis combined with the first experience of a natural 'disaster' is not ideal, haha!

"The main alternative theory is that abductions are associated with sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis is a common experience in which a person wakes up but cannot move. It occurs occasionally in about 40% of the population (Fukuda, Miyasita, Inugami, & Ishihara, 1987; Spanos, McNulty, DuBreuil, Pires & Burgess, 1995; Blackmore, 1998) and more frequently in narcoleptics (Thorpy, 1990). It is often associated with a sense of presence, vibrations, lights, and sensations of being prodded or pulled, as well as emotions ranging from curiosity to intense fear or terror. Many cultures have sleep paralysis myths, such as witch or hag riding in England (Davis, 1996-7), the Old Hag of Newfoundland (Hufford, 1982), or Kanashibari in Japan (Fukuda, 1993). Alien abduction may be our modern sleep paralysis myth."

Lol, I feel we may be getting a little off-topic :whistling: Fascinating subject though.

moonmin82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Apologies for the double post (lol) but this was too relevent to pass up:

"That night I dreamed that I was upside down in a water hole wishing someone could wake me up."

I found the above excerpt, which brought to mind:

"How'd you like to be alone and drowning? Still I find this narcolepsy slide into another nightmare."

To anybody who hasn't experienced sleep paralysis, the opening two lines of Narcolepsy encapsulate the feeling perfectly:

"I'm on a train, but there's noone at the helm and there's a demon in my brain who starts to overwhelm."

I often recall a feeling of trying to cry out but being unable to speak. A pressure on my shoulders, chest and mouth.

moonmin82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Here's a question for Kevin:

You've mentioned that "Guitars came before lyrics or vocal melodies on songs where I am credited". I was wondering if tunes were born through exploring a tuning or if altered tunings were developed to aid the music you were 'hearing' in your head? Yes, this is a "chicken/egg" situation!

Daniel

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Watching the sky
heheh
webmaster | www.kevincadogan.com | ?EB | Bring back George.
Please be kind to all members - click Posted Image on posts that are kind and helpful!

Travis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, guitar, ukulelee, music, movies...and so on.

I often recall a feeling of trying to cry out but being unable to speak. A pressure on my shoulders, chest and mouth.

Thanks for the all the info posts about this stuff. Truth is when i first got had it a few years ago, there was no way i was going to see a doctor about it despite how terrifying it was. Luckily in our day and age there's the internet, and i looked it up and figured it out myself, which led me to the conclusion that its not a big deal. But that quote of yours really explains what i used to do...try to yell for help, but not being able to.

Nickel II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Here's a question for Kevin:

You've mentioned that "Guitars came before lyrics or vocal melodies on songs where I am credited". I was wondering if tunes were born through exploring a tuning or if altered tunings were developed to aid the music you were 'hearing' in your head? Yes, this is a "chicken/egg" situation!

Wow, good song writing question. I have a related one. Kevin - do you ever subconsiously "write" a song in your dreams, wake up, and start recording it?

I played drums for about 10 years when I was younger and then messed around with guitars for a few years but never got very good (never been good at changing chords quickly and cleanly so I could only play slower tempo songs), but over the years I have woken up from a dream a dozen times or so with a brand new song in my head, all the way down to the lyrics. How I wish I had the talent to be able to put these things down on paper or record to tape.

should_be_working

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Kevin,

I was just on the archive (3ebarchive.com) and listened to Separation/Light that hits the room from the Pensacola show. I've heard the story of stephan not wanting you to sing that song on stage, but my memory is lacking, so is there truth to that? And if so, how did arion and brad feel about you singing it live? How many times did you guys play that song? I really wish you guys could have released the songs that didn't make the cut for Blue like Gorgeous, Scattered, Alright Caroline, WWTD, Separation - a lot of great material got lost. Was there ever consideration for a double album or b-side release since there was so much unused material?

thanks!

Daniel

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
pensacola? i thought it was just orlando and tampa
Please be kind to all members - click Posted Image on posts that are kind and helpful!

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Wow, good song writing question. I have a related one. Kevin - do you ever subconsiously "write" a song in your dreams, wake up, and start recording it?

I played drums for about 10 years when I was younger and then messed around with guitars for a few years but never got very good (never been good at changing chords quickly and cleanly so I could only play slower tempo songs), but over the years I have woken up from a dream a dozen times or so with a brand new song in my head, all the way down to the lyrics. How I wish I had the talent to be able to put these things down on paper or record to tape.

sometimes that happens. Its not very reliable though and the music always seems better in the dream... reminds me of a funny partridge family episode where Danny wakes up at night and steals song ideas from his brother who was singing in his sleep.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Kevin,

I was just on the archive (3ebarchive.com) and listened to Separation/Light that hits the room from the Pensacola show. I've heard the story of stephan not wanting you to sing that song on stage, but my memory is lacking, so is there truth to that? And if so, how did arion and brad feel about you singing it live? How many times did you guys play that song? I really wish you guys could have released the songs that didn't make the cut for Blue like Gorgeous, Scattered, Alright Caroline, WWTD, Separation - a lot of great material got lost. Was there ever consideration for a double album or b-side release since there was so much unused material?

thanks!

You should ask him the first question. The other guys didn't seem to care that much. It was supposed to be a fun one off thing like the Edge singing "numb". Not my favorite song by U2 but it showed another side to the band, I never imagined that one song would create such a strange internal dynamic. I certainly was not trying to challenge him as the lead singer nor would I have wanted to do more than one song. Just enough to add some dimension. People seemed to really enjoy that aspect to a live performance. As far as the other songs go, there really was not much to discuss. The Instrumental ep that never materialized became the topic of conversation. A double record would have been great and there was certainly enough material but it would have been incredibly expensive to keep recording the way we were doing it.

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi Kevin, its been mentioned that Eric Valentine had a lot of input for the sound for I Want You - did the song change much?

Is it a phase pedal that gives the swirling sounds on the chorus? I have the tab book and it says that its a phase pedal with muted notes but I can't get the same sound.

In terms of songs that had the basic music and lyrics already written which songs are you most proud of your work in terms of adding hooks etc?

Nickel II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

It was supposed to be a fun one off thing like the Edge singing "numb". Not my favorite song by U2 but it showed another side to the band.

Hey! Zooropa is my fav U2 CD!!!!

Lest we forget "Seconds" and "Van Diemans Land" as well. I never knew The Edge sang any of those songs until seeing the videos. Ven Diemans land is actually 100% written by the Edge, lyrics and all. Great tune.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Hey! Zooropa is my fav U2 CD!!!!

Lest we forget "Seconds" and "Van Diemans Land" as well. I never knew The Edge sang any of those songs until seeing the videos. Ven Diemans land is actually 100% written by the Edge, lyrics and all. Great tune.

Your right, and 'Van Diemans land' is one of my favorites as well.

Racecar8275

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Rockin, Good friends, good food, drinks. It just dosn't get any better than Rockin with your friends.
Dear Kevin,
OK, I'll ask, When Arion became ill (God bless hope he is doing well) there was a bass player for 3EB besides Abe that filled in on some performances. Can you tell us who that bass player was?
Also, does your current band have any plans to do any touring? I know the east coast (NJ) would love to see your band, Stone Pony, or Paramount Theater Asbury Park, HOB, or Borgata Atlantic City. You could cum keep Snookie company down the shore! ;)
P.S. When asking, I'm supposed to say please, Please...! =D
Barry
Bayville, NJ

Daniel

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
im sure kevin would love to come in play, if you can give him a guarentee and fill the room :-P I dont know if "Kevin Cadogan" is big in NJ, but I hear he's big in Japan.

JohnnyV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Liam? Interesting guy. He once threatened to stab me. It was pretty funny.

Wow, please elaborate!?

christiano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey Kevin, just wondering what you're main guitar amp for the self titled album was?

Nickel II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Liam? Interesting guy. He once threatened to stab me. It was pretty funny.

Christ, the guys accent is so heavy, did you actually understand what he was saying or could you tell by him motioning a knife at you. I've heard that guy talk in interviews and it was ridiculous.

Was this at the KROQ Weenie roast in 97 or 98 (we've been over this before, I can never remember the year and refuse to look it up again!) The one thing I do recall about that show besides missing 3eb and how awesome the Cure was, was how great Oasis was even if I really don't like them. The sun was just setting over the Irvine mountains, it was cooling off after a very hot day in the sun, and Oasis just sounded brilliant. If nothing else, they were the cleanest sounding band of the day.

Luke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hey Kevin, just wondering what you're main guitar amp for the self titled album was?

That question actually came up a while ago on Twitter. Here's what Kevin said:

"There are so many amps on our self titled. Hard to point to just one. I'd say Marshall plexi, Tweed, 5150, ampeg jet, Magnatone"

Racecar8275

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Rockin, Good friends, good food, drinks. It just dosn't get any better than Rockin with your friends.

im sure kevin would love to come in play, if you can give him a guarentee and fill the room :-P I dont know if "Kevin Cadogan" is big in NJ, but I hear he's big in Japan.

NP filling The Pony, besides I beleive he played there once with 3EB, lelegendary show they still talk about it, and 3EB still has a photo right next to Clarence Clemens and the E. Street Band at The Pony ;) I would recomend the Paramount Theater right across the street, bigger venue, better seating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users