• You cannot reply to this topic
90 replies to this topic

Daniel

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Watching the sky
Thought I'd get the ball rolling on this subject.... so .... Ask away.
webmaster | www.kevincadogan.com | ?EB | Bring back George.
Please be kind to all members - click Posted Image on posts that are kind and helpful!

ERICHON99

The Law

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Thought I'd get the ball rolling on this subject.... so .... Ask away.

Wish I could get my hands on more 3eb vintage videos like the Graduate performance in Aspen, CO and a cleaner version of the AMA awards.

justin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Kevin,

Can you think of anything on the self titled you wish were different? A lyric you think would be good, or a guitar part you wish you'd thought up then, etc.?

nevnomo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Did you want to sing some of the songs, at least the ones you wrote? Were you denied?

duckyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Speaking of vintage video Eric, I enjoyed your posts on youtube and wondered where you got them, We have lots of stuff here, but maybe nothing you havn't seen (Kevin's high school bands anyone?)

With all of this talk about ten years ago, I've been thinking of the bands' tv appearance on TMZ (was that it?) right after sundance. Well it must have been right after since that's how I remember learning that Kevin was out of the band. I had the video cassette (or 8 track) ready to record kevin, as I often did back then. And, wait a minute, where is he? Who's that new guy? My memory is that the chickybabe host said, in ref. to Tony, something like "well, here's a familiar face!" Stephan then confirms that Tony is 3eb's original guitarist and claims that Tony performed on SLC. Does anyone else remember that? Kevin says the timing of my memory is off, that I must have already known by then. He also said the MTV reporter knew him and was being sarcastic, but it seemed really creepy at the time.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Did you want to sing some of the songs, at least the ones you wrote? Were you denied?

Third Eye Blind already had a lead singer. The only song I wanted to sing was 'separation' . Jason Carmer heard it and wanted it on the record because he felt it would give the band "more dimension" Jason and I were actually talking about this last night and I recorded some interesting video of him expressing his viewpoint. Which I will post here.

The way I felt about it was like The Edge singing some songs for U2. The Edge never took anything away from Bono. Stephan and I actually talked about the whole u2 thing but he felt too "uncomfortable" with another band member singing. He wanted to sing it and when it looked like that was the only way it was going on the record I said ok.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Kevin,

Can you think of anything on the self titled you wish were different? A lyric you think would be good, or a guitar part you wish you'd thought up then, etc.?

Thats a great question and off the top of my head right now I can't answer it. But I'll try..
There's nothing I can think of that I would want to change. We had been performing most of those songs for a couple years and got used to them the way they were.

"The Background" and "Good for you" were going to be cut off the album and I remember fighting for those. The manager wanted to save songs for the next record which happens a lot and is not necessarily a bad idea. But my thinking was screw that. I was not sure we were even going to make another record. Thats why there are more songs on that album than makes sense from a business perspective.
It was just a well thought out record and we worked hard on getting it right. I am still delighted with the final result.

Nickel II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Speaking of vintage video Eric, I enjoyed your posts on youtube and wondered where you got them, We have lots of stuff here, but maybe nothing you havn't seen (Kevin's high school bands anyone?)

With all of this talk about ten years ago, I've been thinking of the bands' tv appearance on TMZ (was that it?) right after sundance. Well it must have been right after since that's how I remember learning that Kevin was out of the band. I had the video cassette (or 8 track) ready to record kevin, as I often did back then. And, wait a minute, where is he? Who's that new guy? My memory is that the chickybabe host said, in ref. to Tony, something like "well, here's a familiar face!" Stephan then confirms that Tony is 3eb's original guitarist and claims that Tony performed on SLC. Does anyone else remember that? Kevin says the timing of my memory is off, that I must have already known by then. He also said the MTV reporter knew him and was being sarcastic, but it seemed really creepy at the time.

I totally remeber TRL (Total Request Live). It was like just 1-2 days after Sundance I think. Tony looked so friggin lost, like a deer in headlights. The whole "original guitarist" claim just kills me still to this day.

How about this horrible moment. 3eb on Thanksgiving Day playing at halftime of the Detroit Lions Football game. Poor guys had to airjam the whole thing. I think the only thing live was SJ vocals. I was so excited to watch it and then had a sick cringed feeling the whole time when I realized they weren't playing live. I recall later finding out it was SJ's idea to do it despite it all being fake playing. Ugh.

Is Duckyboy AC?

ERICHON99

The Law

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

I totally remeber TRL (Total Request Live). It was like just 1-2 days after Sundance I think. Tony looked so friggin lost, like a deer in headlights. The whole "original guitarist" claim just kills me still to this day.

How about this horrible moment. 3eb on Thanksgiving Day playing at halftime of the Detroit Lions Football game. Poor guys had to airjam the whole thing. I think the only thing live was SJ vocals. I was so excited to watch it and then had a sick cringed feeling the whole time when I realized they weren't playing live. I recall later finding out it was SJ's idea to do it despite it all being fake playing. Ugh.

Is Duckyboy AC?

Steve, duckyboy is not AC which I know for sure, but I don't know really who duckyboy is. I'd let Kevin or duckyboy reveal the truth on their own terms.

I have the Detroit Lions video. I was debating whether or not to re-post on youtube. Maybe it's still there? I forget. Anyways, yea, it was sad to airjam like that and SJ sound like a little girl. I felt bad actually too. Kevin does do some mean air guitaring, haha. Posted Image
Dude, I really miss Barry Sanders....but that's an off topic

ERICHON99

The Law

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Kevin, I am curious if you can tell us if you're allowed or permitted to use old 3eb demos (i.e. unreleased material) on your own albums and with your own lyrical ideas without sending a dime over to 3eb inc.

I assume not since there are already BMI publishing rights online that I've seen before with the other 3eb members on them. If that's the case, is there some kind of "loophole" to get around this unfortunate fact?

On a similar thought, would you personally be willing to release something like Gorgeous in your own version and pay out 3eb?

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Is Duckyboy AC?

It wasn't Stephan's idea, it was the NFL's.
I actually LOVED that it was not live. I was playing guitar on National TV and there was ZERO chance of me screwing it up. Lovely,

Most Australian TV shows were like that and they were the most hilarious shows cause it wasn't the NFL and we didn't really care. I played the guitar behind my back, with my feet, tongue....etc I need the footage from those shows.

Nickel II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

It wasn't Stephan's idea, it was the NFL's.
I actually LOVED that it was not live. I was playing guitar on National TV and there was ZERO chance of me screwing it up. Lovely,

Most Australian TV shows were like that and they were the most hilarious shows cause it wasn't the NFL and we didn't really care. I played the guitar behind my back, with my feet, tongue....etc I need the footage from those shows.

Haha, no way. Learn something new every day. Well, I know it doesn't matter, but I did feel bad for you guys! I loved the self titled CD so much and really felt like 3eb was going to be the next U2 - just a big gargantuan sound that mattered. And I thought that no way would U2 ever do something like this. When Blue came out I pictured Wounded being played live in huge stadiums. I love it when bands make a mistake live, shows they are human. Unless their names are Andy, Stewart and Gordon and they are playing at Dodgers Stadium and they suck the whole night in front of people who paid $25 just to park and $150 for the nose bleed seats. Even $12 beers couldn't make them sound good.

Did you guys have the option of playing live, or was it a take or leave it deal?

Nickel II fun fact. When my brother and I were kids, like 10-12 years old, we would make mixed tapes of our favorite bands, set up fake equipment in our basement, and put on concerts for the other neighborhood kids. real drum sets, real guitars, even a real keyboard. But of course we didn't play, we just cranked uo the stereo really loud. Charged the kids 25 cents to get in. We did it about 4 times and sold out to about 25 kids each time. Truly good times.

Just listened to a great song by The Gaslight Anthem, check it out of you can. Called "Red at Night" from their first CD. These guys get their inspiration from all over the place. A sound like Bruce, the heart of U2, the energy of The Replacements.

I was born in a town where the rivers flow free.
On a January night when the cold winds freeze.
I got an Irish name and an injury.
Got a blessing and a curse cast down on me.
Ain't nobody got the blues like me.

It was a blood red sky on the morning tide.
It was a cold wind blowing when I left that night.
And the warning bells rang, all right, all right.
I shoulda stayed home with you that night.
Ain't nobody played the fool like I.

Well things got bad, and things got worse.
Half like a blessing, half like a curse.
It's so hard to see sometimes,
Got a little clearer 'bout dusk last night.
Ain't nobody got a blessing like mine.

It's a red sky night and it's quite alright.
It's a red sky night and I'm doing just fine.

It's a red sky night and I'm doing alright.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Wish I could get my hands on more 3eb vintage videos like the Graduate performance in Aspen, CO and a cleaner version of the AMA awards.

I need to get my hand held footage of shows/escapades transferred.

I have some interesting footage from the recording of Blue. There's actually a video of Jenkins and I highfiving after listening to the Thousand July's mix. Alternate Universe stuff.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

Haha, no way. Learn something new every day. Well, I know it doesn't matter, but I did feel bad for you guys! I loved the self titled CD so much and really felt like 3eb was going to be the next U2 - just a big gargantuan sound that mattered. And I thought that no way would U2 ever do something like this. When Blue came out I pictured Wounded being played live in huge stadiums. I love it when bands make a mistake live, shows they are human. Unless their names are Andy, Stewart and Gordon and they are playing at Dodgers Stadium and they suck the whole night in front of people who paid $25 just to park and $150 for the nose bleed seats. Even $12 beers couldn't make them sound good.

Did you guys have the option of playing live, or was it a take or leave it deal?

Nickel II fun fact. When my brother and I were kids, like 10-12 years old, we would make mixed tapes of our favorite bands, set up fake equipment in our basement, and put on concerts for the other neighborhood kids. real drum sets, real guitars, even a real keyboard. But of course we didn't play, we just cranked uo the stereo really loud. Charged the kids 25 cents to get in. We did it about 4 times and sold out to about 25 kids each time. Truly good times.

Just listened to a great song by The Gaslight Anthem, check it out of you can. Called "Red at Night" from their first CD. These guys get their inspiration from all over the place. A sound like Bruce, the heart of U2, the energy of The Replacements.

I was born in a town where the rivers flow free.
On a January night when the cold winds freeze.
I got an Irish name and an injury.
Got a blessing and a curse cast down on me.

It was a blood red sky on the morning tide.
It was a cold wind blowing when I left that night.
And the warning bells rang, all right, all right.
I shoulda stayed home with you that night.

Well things got bad, and things got worse.
Half like a blessing, half like a curse.
It's so hard to see sometimes,
Got a little clearer 'bout dusk last night.

It's a red sky night and I'm doing alright.

Thanks for sharing this.
Regarding the NFL show.. We really had no choice and we were just happy to be there.. The label probably requested it not be live. I know for a fact the label head Loved the performance.
I was not expecting all those cheerleaders to come out...It was surreal.
Yeah even U2 thought we could be U2. Suckage.

norrismantooth

Pikachu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:stuff.

http://snd.sc/xJPRm5
When it came to live TV, who was in charge of the small string sections (like, who gave them direction and such, who called them to tell them to show up, etc.)

Which band member had the most authority over the 'arrangements'? Most musical member of the band? Which band members were in choir growing up? Who understands music theory the best (I'm guessing this is you...)?

After hearing that most of SJ's lyrics were ghost-written, and reading that he was just an okay singer and okay guitarist, it left me with these questions. I remember reading old interviews - SJ said he grew up in the Haight - historically a very "drug-involved" scene. Was he just a bum?

View PostDaniel, on 13 March 2010 - 03:55 PM, said:

the current 3EB is probably the worst 3EB tribute band ever.

Twitch043

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So. Question. What songs off of s/t and Blue do you like the least? Either as far as your playing/music or the song as a whole, or what? For me the only song off of s/t I don't care for TOO much is "Burning Man," which I rate as about average [which speaks very well for an album if my least favorite song is as good as average, you know?]. But off of Blue, it kinda seems like the whole second half of the album sort of took a step downhill, around about "An Ode to Maybe." [I don't really like the verses to that]. But... yeah. Any songs you don't particularly care for, or at least your LEAST liked?

Oh, and another. I have a demo for "Wake for Young Souls" that is supposedly from before '97. Did you have any part in the creation of that song back then, or was it mostly/all Stephan? I know it was on OotV, so it was probably more Stephan, but... just wondering.

Probably the best song on OotV, if not "Faster." XD. And of course it's from the '90s.

Kevin Cadogan

3EB/XEB Band Member

• Band Member
  • 266 posts

When it came to live TV, who was in charge of the small string sections (like, who gave them direction and such, who called them to tell them to show up, etc.)

Which band member had the most authority over the 'arrangements'? Most musical member of the band? Which band members were in choir growing up? Who understands music theory the best (I'm guessing this is you...)?

After hearing that most of SJ's lyrics were ghost-written, and reading that he was just an okay singer and okay guitarist, it left me with these questions. I remember reading old interviews - SJ said he grew up in the Haight - historically a very "drug-involved" scene. Was he just a bum?

I was in charge of the small string sections in that I hired a friend (Adam Johnson) who played live with us to find good players for TV and interviewed them.
Arrangements on material I am credited with were largely done by me.
Choir? nobody.
Music theory-me, but thats not saying much.
No he was not a bum.

bluewintermoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:vintage awesomeness.

Wake For Young Souls- not me. I believe that was co-written by Jason Slater.

But... but... that can't be! He's not credited! :) lol fuckin jerkins

topwing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Alright, I've been trying to think of a question for Kevin for a while, now, and I've finally got one.

There's a recording I have from a live show which is basically an interlude. There's some pretty awesome guitar work going down in the background, and SJ is talking to the fans and band. His usual "We're just going to hang out now!" jazz. At one point, Stephan is heard saying "We're not playing that song, Kevin. No way. No no no no no. No. See that's the thing about Kevin. Kevin don't stop. No no no. Kevin don't stop."

So my question is if you remember this event or any like this where Stephan shot you down on stage. And, if you can possibly remember, what song did you request to play?

Elberfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Playing Guitar-Cycling-All Types of Music-Reading

Alright, I've been trying to think of a question for Kevin for a while, now, and I've finally got one.

There's a recording I have from a live show which is basically an interlude. There's some pretty awesome guitar work going down in the background, and SJ is talking to the fans and band. His usual "We're just going to hang out now!" jazz. At one point, Stephan is heard saying "We're not playing that song, Kevin. No way. No no no no no. No. See that's the thing about Kevin. Kevin don't stop. No no no. Kevin don't stop."

So my question is if you remember this event or any like this where Stephan shot you down on stage. And, if you can possibly remember, what song did you request to play?

Dude! I know the bootleg you're talking about!! The song that they cover in that recording is an Ice Cube song called "It Was A Good Day." The guitar part that Kevin plays and that the Ice Cube track sampled is from the Isley Brothers song "Footsteps In The Dark."

There is another similar recording out there where Kevin plays "Genius of Love" by the Tom Tom Club (which was sampled by Mariah Carey for "Fantasy") while SJ was blathering on and on. When I was in a band we were auditioning a new drummer and my friend/singer/guitar player started talking his ear off and I started playing that riff. He had seen the video and knew what I was doing and gave me the dirtiest look of all time! It was classic!!

But yeah, I wonder if they worked that stuff out ahead of time or if it was spontaneous...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users